Judicial Separation

HomeSeparationJudicial Separation

call-to-action1For some people, divorce may not be the right remedy for them, when a marriage breaks up.

There may be religious, or personal reasons why they do not wish to divorce. It may be that to try and get financial matters sorted out, they issued judicial separation proceedings.

This is where the Court recognise that a couple are separated, but they are not free to remarry. In addition, whilst the Court can deal with financial issues upon divorce, it can not deal with issues concerning pensions. Also, subsequent divorce proceedings can be issued, and the financial cases reopened.

Frequently Asked Questions

A judicial separation petition is prepared, and sent to the Court in triplicate, along with the original marriage certificate and the Court fee, which is currently £365.   If there are children, a form about the arrangements for the children also has to be completed, and submitted in triplicate.

The Court staff check through the paperwork, and if satisfied that all the documentation is to hand, and is accurate, they will issue the papers, giving a case number, which is how the Court recognise each case. They send a copy to the other person, along with an Acknowledgment of Service form.

The Respondent (the person responding to the Petition) then has to complete the Acknowledgment of Service. Generally, this is on the basis that the case will not be contested, but if the Respondent wishes to contest the case, they must lodge an answer and pay a fee to do so.

The Court will then send to the Petitioner a copy of the acknowledgment of service. The Petitioner must then prepare a statement in support of their application and a request for the Judicial separation decree to be pronounced.

Once received by the Court, the file of papers will be presented to a Judge who must decide whether the Petitioner has the grounds for judicial separation, and who should pay the costs of the application.

If satisfied, the Judge will list the case for pronouncement of decree of judicial separation. Both parties will receive notification of the date and time of the hearing. There is no need to attend, unless there is an issue about costs that needs to be dealt with by the Judge on the day.

The decree of judicial separation is then sent out in the post to the parties.

  1. The couple have lived separately and apart for 5 years
  2. The couple have lived separately and apart for 2 years where they both consent to a divorce
  3. One has deserted the other (the period of separation has to be two years)
  4. One has behaved in a way that the other finds unreasonable
  5. One has committed adultery and admits to the adultery

There are no set time limits, but generally it takes between 4 and 6 months to obtain. Some decrees can take less time, depending upon the responses from the Court and the other person involved, and some can take longer. Likely delays are if the Respondent doesn’t complete the paperwork. Arrangements then have to be made to personally serve the papers on the Respondent, to prove that service has taken place. If the application is defended, then the case can take considerably longer, as there will be a court hearing before a Judge who will make a decision as to whether or not to grant the decree, and to decide who should pay the costs of the proceedings.

News & Events

Lessons from a week of wonderful results

It’s been quite a week in our Family Team. We have received these very kind messages from kinship carers in the last week. more...

Grandparents hit jackpot after Christmas shock

On Christmas Eve 2015, *Joan and Harry Castle’s life was turned upside down (not their real names*). After receiving a call from a more...

Bradford has questions to answer to Foster and Kinship carers!

Following the story published in the Bradford paper, Telegraph & Argus in January, Nigel Priestley shows the effect this is having on people's lives. The worry is that more...

Bradford aunt and uncle win battle with Council

A Bradford kinship carer couple win a £7000 battle with Bradford Council. When Bradford Metropolitan District Council approached Mr and Mrs B in 2014 to more...

Nigel Priestley, Senior Partner at Ridley & Hall Solicitors scoops top accolade at the Modern Law Awards

Last night at the Modern Law Awards, Ridley & Hall received fantastic news. Nigel Priestley, Partner and Community Care solicitor won Lawyer of the Year. The Modern Law more...

National and Regional Recognition for Contribution to Family and Adoption Law

Ridley & Hall are delighted to announce that they have been shortlisted for two awards at the upcoming Family Law Awards; Regional Firm more...

Request a call back

Send us your contact details and we’ll call you!

Request a call back

I have just experienced the importance of Family and friends care for keeping families together.

Sometimes life throws up remarkable stories. In 2009 I became involved in a case where for complex reasons, the mother was in Calgary, the daughter was in Kampala and the son was in Slaithwaite! A lot happened between then and 2016. A lot of thought, lateral thinking, honesty, small steps, plus imaginative and committed people including Pat Short and Ranjit Uppal lead to Charles going to live with Chelsea in Kampala.

Without kinship care with his aunt in Uganda, Charles might have been left in Huddersfield till he was 18.

Then in late 2016 the family were reunited in Calgary. And I have just been privileged to spend the weekend with them, to hear their story and to remind Charles with the Town shirt that after Calgary, Huddersfield is the only place to be! Sadly Charles is heavily into basketball!

Somewhere along the line the grace of God was much in evidence.
... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook

Grandparents Legal Centre shared Ridley & Hall Solicitors's photo. ... See MoreSee Less

Looking forward to the Solicitors Journal Awards tomorrow 🙂

View on Facebook


    Sorry, no Tweets were found.

Our Social Networks